Fireworks and storms can stress out even the most relaxed pet. Here are a few vet-approved tips to help keep your pets calm during stressful times:
- Distract them with treats
- Play with them using their favorite toys
- Turn on the lights inside
- Close your blinds
- Play music/TV/white noise
- Find a quiet, escape proof space in the interior of the home
- Use a Thundershirt
- Take a picture in case they escape
- Try a calming medication
Additional pet-safety tips to consider:
- Does your pet have identification?
- Is your pet microchipped? If so is the microchip registered?
- Do you have a recent picture of your pet, in case they are lost?
- Reduce the chances of your pet harming themselves or escaping:
- Move them to an interior escape proof room.
- Alert any guests to be careful not to let pet escape.